Back To Top
The document below is originally from http://www.iaw.on.ca/~jsek/imuc.htm
In March of 1813, an act was passed by the Upper Canadian Legislature to create the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. Volunteers were to be equipped, trained and paid as Regulars, and to serve for the duration of the war; Officers obtained their commissions by recruiting a specified number of men. Through its first year of existence the Incorporated Militia existed as a number of individual companies serving in different parts of the colony. They did garrison duty, worked on fortifications, escorted 7batteau on the St. Lawrence, and escorted prisoners. Detachments saw action at Fort York, Fort George, The capture of Fort Niagara, the burning of Buffalo, the raid on Madrid (New York), and numerous other small skirmishes. They also served on gunboats on the St.Lawrence, including action at Goose Creek (New York).
In March the ten existing companies of the Incorporated Militia were assembled at York and amalgamated into a single battalion under Lt-Col. Wm. Robinson (8th Regiment). Late in May, 300 local militia were ordered to join the Battalion for a three month period. By the end of June the Battalion, with 350 rank and file, was felt to be ready for field service.
On July 6th, 1814, the Battalion sailed to Fort George and were assigned to the Light Brigade. After a few brushes with American picquets, they were ordered forward on July 25th. At Lundy's Lane they encountered a superior force of the enemy and retreated about a mile. Meeting reinforcements, they returned and took up a position on the far left of the British line. About 6 PM battle began, and around sunset an American Regiment succeeded in getting around their flank. The Battalion fell back and rallied on the Colours of the 89th Regiment. The battle raged for three hours, the Americans launching a series of attacks, which were driven back by the British, until the former broke off the attack and left the field. The American's losses: 171 killed, 573 wounded, and 110 prisoner or missing. The British losses were 84 killed, 559 wounded, 42 prisoner and 193 missing; the Battalion lost one Ensign and six men killed; four officers and 39 men wounded; five officers, three Sergeants and 14 men prisoners; 75 missing (most of the last turned up over the next few days).
Following the battle, the Americans retreated to Fort Erie, which they had captured in early July. The British undertook a siege, which often involved skirmishes between the opposing picquets. The Americans also launched a number of sallies, one such came on August 12th, another on September 4th and the largest on September 17th each directly involved the Incorporated Militia. (The Battalion did not however take a direct part on the assault of August 15th,) During the siege the British forces suffered much, mainly due to the lack of tents, the Incorporated Militia on the other hand, quickly erected snug shanties for themselves.
On September 21st, the British broke the siege and retired to the Chippawa. The Battalion took a position among the forward positions, threshing out the grain for the army and building defensive works, which were a major deterrent to any attack. In late October, the Battalion was went to Butller's Barracks and then to winter quarters at York.
During the winter, the Legislative Assembly passed a series of acts to expand and improve the Incorporated Militia. It was also planned to change the uniform to a more practical green and they be allowed to bear "Niagara" upon their colours and appointments. With the ending of the War, the Incorporated Militia was disbanded on March 10th, 1815, being granted six months pay free of deductions. In 1821, the Battalion was finally presented with a set of colours, which were lodged in the care of the York Militia. They are currently in the National War Museum in Ottawa.
Military Re-Enactment Society Of Canada